[FM Discuss] forums (yeeech)

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 15:48:12 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 02:20, tycho garen <garen at tychoish.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 04:05:24PM +0100, adam hyde wrote:
>> so...i was wondering if anyone has good ideas on forums to use - or some
>> kind of feedback mechanism for 'users'? We need to install one on
>> booki.cc since its getting quite a bit of usage but there is no
>> community as such yet like there is with fm...
>
> I'm not a big web forums kind of guy (see below), but my general
> tendencies in this area are:

I *use* forums, but I rarely post to them...

> - [ikiwiki](http://ikiwiki.info) which has a page-inlining/blogging
>  feature set that you can use to power forum sites
>  (e.g. http://ikiwiki.info/forum/). It's super low-fi/low key, but in
>  that: really awesome.

Just thought I should note that I've used ikiwiki in production and I
would *not* recommend it. It's ReST implementation is awful, and
markdown is, well, markdown. It can't really do tables (not strictly
necessary in this case, but you never know...)...It just wasn't very
fun.

I know I've not suggested a positive here, but I thought I should
weigh in on ikiwiki :)

cheers
L.

--
Crunchiness is the gustatory sensation of muffled grinding of a
foodstuff. Crunchiness differs from crispiness in that a crispy item