[FM Discuss] can someone explain this to me

Tomas A. Krag tomas at krag.org
Tue Feb 15 07:26:49 PST 2011

Adam,

 From what I understood, when i looked into it late last year, the issue
with the pure CSS3 implementation is that it has pretty shabby browser
support, or at least requires some custom code to make it work in most
modern browsers. The google font API on the other hand should work
across the board.

Another, possibly minor detail is that if a lot of sites use the same
source for their fonts (i.e. google API) then a lot of clients will
already have the fonts cached, allowing for faster rendering.

Now whether those advantages are worth sacrificing openness and
standards-compliance for, is another matter entirely.

On the other hand, the google API seems like a reasonable stop-gap until
browsers catch up with proper CSS3 (in much the same way google offered
offline support in gears until HTML5 caught up). I wonder what they'll
do if and when that happens?

cheers

/Tomas