[FM Discuss] equations equuations

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Tue Jan 11 02:34:48 PST 2011

hi,

i looked into the equation issue. its kinda interesting and kinda
confusing. i would love it if someone could help work out whats going
on.

I made this book here for testing this kind of thing:
http://booki.flossmanuals.net/layouttester/edit/

Firstly...we are using the Xinha editor and the Equation plugin.

When I add an equation I get a span like this:

AM I guess is short for AsciiMathML which is the javascript that manages
all this:
http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathml/asciimath.html

When the equation is placed it looks fine. When I save the page and open
it, it displays incorrectly - it shows the ascii not the mathml. ie i
'see' this:
dy/dx

and not the nice equation.

If I click on the source button for the editor and see the source view
and then click it again to see the wysiwyg view i see the equation
again. ugh

when i then save it and look at the html it generates it displays
incorrectly here:
http://booki.flossmanuals.net/layouttester/_v/1.0/equations/

I see the ascii.

However...When I look at another page where I have also included the
AsciiMathML javascipt in a script link (<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://booki.flossmanuals.net/site_media/xinha/plugins/Equation/ASCIIMathML.js"></script>) I see the equation displayed correctly:
http://booki.flossmanuals.net/layouttester/_full/

However....all this works with Firefox not in a webkit browser (unless
someone wants to prove me wrong - please feel free to test)...

when i publish the pdf I get ascii again:
http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/books/layouttester-en-2011.01.11-11.26.44.pdf

this is because our pdf is generated by the webkit layout engine.

so...apart from the strange issue with the editor not displaying the
content correctly I think the issue cannot be resolved since it only
works with firefox as far as i can tell...and we use webkit to gen the
pdf...so unless anyone can work out how to get webkit to gen the mathml
properly then we have to disable the plugin...anyone want to try?

vote for booki in the Open Web Awards!

Booki (the latest FM project - http://www.booki.cc - a collaborative
publishing platform) is in the final of the Open Web Awards.
Great! We are 1 of 3 projects. If we win we get 5000 which we will use
to do a code sprint on a tropical island somewhere ;)

please please please register :
http://www.drumbeat.org/user/register

and vote for us by visiting this page and clicking on the 'vote' link (top right):
http://www.drumbeat.org/project/open-web-publishing

and pass this around!!!! :)

Adam Hyde
Founder FLOSS Manuals &