[FM Discuss] How to update EPUBs in Internet Archive?

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 12:51:41 PST 2011

When I submitted "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" to the Internet
Archive it created books in multiple forms, including an EPUB.
However, the way it makes an EPUB is defective in this case.  It
assumes that you will give it a PDF composed of page images, which it
then does OCR on to create the EPUB.  Doing OCR on a file that already
contains text is not going to give good results, and the resulting
EPUB is useless.  However, Booki can create a really good EPUB.  I
know I could donate that EPUB to the Internet Archive, but what I
really want to do is REPLACE the lousy generated EPUB with my good
one.  I know that Booki was created in part to do this very thing, but
I can't figure out how to make it happen.  The Internet Archive page
does not let you delete the existing EPUB, and when you upload a new
one it does not seem to replace the existing one.

I'll ask over at IA but I figured that whoever developed the function
in Booki would know the answer.

James Simmons