[FM Discuss] disaster strikes: fi.flossmanuals.net offline...

Daniel James daniel.james at sourcefabric.org
Fri Jul 29 09:38:46 PDT 2011

Hi Tomi,

> I was actually thinking for approximately two seconds that we have been
> hacked or that somebody has been adding highly illegal content to Booki.
> Actually both of these scenarios are something that should be thought about.

You need daily, incremental backups so you can roll back any number of
days required. It really depends how long it will take for someone to
notice the damage. If it's well-hidden vandalism it might take some
while to discover. So I backup off-site daily, and delete the backups
when they reach 12 weeks old (otherwise I would run out of disk space).

> I was looking at an FM backup I made some months ago with wget, but it
> seems like wget really doesn't get it in a very useful format. It would
> be a horribly time-consuming task to restore the wiki from that.

I suggest rdiff-backup, for example like this:

http://arctic.org/~dean/rdiff-backup/unattended.html

The above is a quite complicated how-to, but it's a really powerful
method. You can back up large servers over a modest Internet connection.

Cheers!

Daniel