[FM Discuss] the latest newsletter...

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 09:49:22 PDT 2011

All,

It's a nice thought to buy the books in the Kindle Store and support
our work, but you all should understand that while I am *in principle*
willing to give all the profits from these sales to Plan Ceibal in
fact the amount of money these books are likely to make (30 cents a
copy, 13 copies sold so far) is so small that it isn't practical to
send them there,  Think of the Kindle Store as a more convenient way
of getting the book to your Kindle, and also as a way of introducing
Sugar Labs to people who are interested in Python programming for
other reasons.  Already if you look at my page for MYOSA you'll see a
couple of Python books that people looked at when they looked at my
book, and maybe this will pay off for us someday.  Also, if we get our
best FLOSS Manuals in the Kindle Store that will make FM more visible
to people who are ready to drop thirty-fifty bucks on an O'Reilly
book.

As for moral support, the Internet Archive reports how many free
downloads of the book there have been and that has been encouraging.

Thanks,

James Simmons