[FM Discuss] feedback on the fm (booki) workflow

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:22:29 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 06:30, adam <adam at flossmanuals.net> wrote:
> hi,
>
> So. Aspiration are doing a review in the Booki workflow. One of the main
> implementations for booki is http://booki.flossmanuals.net. But it is also
> used for the Fi FLOSS Manuals and the http://translate-new.flossmanuals.net
> (new beta translation zone).
>
> As part of this we need feedback from the 'power users'. That is *you*. The
> FM community is the most experienced Booki group in the world!
>
> So, can we have a discussion about what you think is and isnt good about the
> current Booki as you experience it on booki.flossmanuals.net
>
> I am *particularly* keen to hear from those that have set up their own Booki
> - Ed and James but I think there are also others. However *all* feedback is
> useful. The feedback could be in the form of 'i dont understand how to...'

How do you use Booki to translate? Just import text and start editing?
Or are there any aids for the process, such as a glossary/translation
memory?

What will the process be for publishing translations? How do we make
sure that they appear on the appropriate pages?

What is the plan for creating language pages? I am told that I have a
hundred Cambodians at the ready. Bangladesh has just published more
than 100 free digital textbooks. The idea of free manuals and free
textbooks, which has been in the air for the last few years, is now
about to reach tsunami proportions on the ground. Financial support is
coming in from UNESCO, UNDP, UNHWR, USAID, IMF, World Bank, and
foundation sources.

> or 'the edit interface is good because...' or more comprehensive
> interpretations of the software.
>
> Any and all feedback and discussion points are very welcome...
>
> anyone want to kick in with some starters?

* I wasn't able to import Discovering Discovery from b.fm.net. I got a
singularly uninformative error message, saying

Error while doing import

This is a first version of error message. Not much to see here.

* Imported 400K text file into new book

http://translate-new.flossmanuals.net/weiqibadukigogo/_v/1.0/edit/

in 10 languages and six writing systems. Very slow to insert and
reformat. Displays correctly.

I got a long page of error data when I tried to save my profile.
Sending separately to Adam, Aco.