[FM Discuss] Thunderbird update sprint: 7 days and counting down!

Scott Nesbitt nesbitt.scott at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 07:54:30 PDT 2011

It's one week until the sprint. I thought I'd send a quick note, covering a
few things, before the date. Most of what's in this message applies only to
the people on site in Toronto, but there's a little something for everyone
here.

Just so you know, the groups working on the updates won't be working in
isolation. We can communicate using the chat client in Booki (the tool
we'll be using) and if necessary I can initiate a Skype call. I know ...
Skype's not free or Open Source. But I've never had much luck with FLOSS
telephony apps.

Here are the few things:

1. Check the project page (
http://scottnesbitt.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=floss_manuals:thunderbird_update_sprint)
for a list of tasks and other information. Feel free to add to or edit the
list.

2. For the people in Toronto, we'll be at the camaraderie co-working space
at 102 Adelaide St. E, 2nd floor. As there is a steep flight of stairs
going up to the space, I'm hoping that no one has any serious mobility
issues.

There's a seafood restaurant on the ground floor of the building. That's
not where we'll be, obviously. When you face the building, you'll see some
doors on the right side. Press the doorbell for camaraderie. Someone will
come down to let you in.

The space opens at 9:00 a.m. I don't expect everyone to be there at 9:00
sharp. If you do come a little later, just tell the person who lets you in
that you're here for the sprint.

camaraderie supplies tea and coffee, and they also have a water cooler.
I'll be bringing some drinks and snacks for us. If you can, bring your own
coffee mug.

We can figure out lunch -- order in or go out -- on the day of the sprint.

3. Obviously, we have to abide by the rules of the co-working space. Rachel
and Wayne (who run it) are very easygoing, but let's not push them. So,
we'll have to keep the noise down -- no blasting Slayer at high volume :-(

4. You'll need a laptop. If you don't have one, then try to make
arrangements. In addition to my own computer, I'll be bringing a laptop for
one of the participants. If need be, I can bring a third laptop. Please let
me know if you need that third laptop.

5. I'll be bringing a power strip. If one or two of you can do the same,
that would be appreciated.

6. If you haven't already done so, please take a moment to register for a
Booki account.

On Wednesday, we'll be spending a few minutes going over Booki before
assigning tasks, Also, we have three people on site who've used the tool
before.

7. This is something I'm going to drill into you during the sprint, but
it's worth repeating: we're looking for speed, not pristine quality.
Quality is good, but don't obsess over it. Remember that the secret to good
writing is editing. The editing will happen after the sprint.

8. If you know anyone who's interested in joining in, either in person or
online, have them contact me. We have space for one more person in Toronto.

9. Remember to have fun.

I'm looking forward to working with you next week.

Scott