[FM Discuss] Experiences with Booki and Create Space

Daniel James daniel.james at sourcefabric.org
Sat Feb 11 05:40:55 PST 2012

Hi James,

> What I found was that things like
> drawings look OK at 150 DPI but photographs look just awful.

Booki is currently designed with the assumption that one pixel in the
image should be one pixel in the web version. To get higher resolution
print output, we need to be able to upload a photo with more than 600
pixel width, and have Booki scale that down for the web version, but use
all the pixels for the print version.

This is the ticket: http://booki-dev.flossmanuals.net/ticket/245

> found that somehow or other my Booki software can see photos in the
> editor but the window to add new images does not show existing images

When you say existing, do you mean images you have uploaded, or images
that were imported along with the book?

> and if you try and upload a new image it won't complain but it won't
> show your uploaded image either.

That doesn't happen on booki.flossmanuals.net, perhaps there's a bug in
your installation.

> I know I reinstalled or upgraded
> Booki a couple of times and this exact thing happened to me before.  I
> vaguely remember having to copy my images to a new directory to solve
> this but I'm damned if I can remember the details.

Sounds like the image path is set incorrectly. A symlink may fix that.

> Using The GIMP for cover designs and inserting the front and back
> cover images into their wizard works OK.

Inkscape may be a better choice, so you can use vector fonts (they will
look sharper in print).

Cheers!

Daniel