[FM Discuss] updated IBD

Daniel James daniel.james at sourcefabric.org
Wed Jun 27 05:39:25 PDT 2012

Hi Adam,

> Iterative Book Development (IDB) Manifesto:
> We value:
> 1. Collaboration and facilitation over ‘editors’ and ‘authors’
> 2. Engaged discourse over isolation
> 3. Completed chunks over incomplete volumes
> 4. Here and now production over sometime soon production
> 5. Shared accomplishment over individual glory

> i dont know how to work micks point about meaningful credit in there

If you will allow a 'point 6', I suggest:

6. Meaningful credit for all contributors

> and formulating a response to dans comments about editors and
> authors...

I believe that many people in the book trade will get jumpy if it looks
like their profession is under attack, especially from something they
don't understand, like the phrase 'iterative book development' :-)

It seems to me that those people have the most to gain from tools like
Booktype (since they spend most of their time working on books). Perhaps
we can start by recognising that book production has always been a
collaboration, and only now do we have a software tool which embraces
that fact and offers a parallel workflow to suit it. (I've written a
book using a linear workflow based on Word comments, it took the best
part of a year to publish).

Maybe points 1 and 2 are really the same, if collaboration is the
opposite of isolation. Working on your own for a publisher in another
country that you never even meet is pretty isolating, but that seems
quite normal for tech manuals.

Cheers!

Daniel