[FM Discuss] State of the english Flossmanuals

Edward Mokurai Cherlin mokurai at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jun 17 14:02:57 PDT 2015

Thanks, Mick. I have been holding off on some projects ever since the
first promise of migrating to Booktype (originally Real Soon Now), due
to current problems I have had under booki. When that happens, I can
recruit some more people and get those projects started.

Let me know if I can help with the migration.

On Wed, June 17, 2015 2:42 pm, Mick FM wrote:

> On 17/06/15 16:16, Mark Hancock wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is purely free thinking and I've had a lot of green tea today,
>> but is there any way FLOSS manuals could move over to GitHub for
>> production? I'm imagining there are several reasons not to, but it is
>> stable and I know a few people are using it to write manuals these days.
>>
>> Happy for someone to point out something really obvious that I’ve not
>> realised about this idea.
>>
>> Cheers

> Hi Mark,
>
> This is a good point. There are some good solutions out there for those
> able to use MarkUp and git.
> These are really getting a lot of pick up. eg.
>
> https://www.gitbook.com/
> https://readthedocs.org/
>
> I'm ccing Simon as I realise that I forgot to answer a similar email he
> sent a while ago asking the same kind of question.
>
> I think this is a good choice for many projects especially for technical
> projects where they are documented mainly by coders.
>
> I personally don't think it's good for FM as really we want to lower
> barriers to writing docs, so having to use git, or mark up doesn't
> really fit the bill.
>
> I'd be really interested to know what other people think of other
> options and how they stack up against Booktype.
>
> The preview I've had of Booktype 2.0 is looking good and I think we've
> found a solution to the current hole we are in which would involve
> minimal complexity of migrating the data (which has really held us up so
> far)
>
> I'd also be interested to know what people thought were the essential
> features for a diverse, low entry point, collaborative writing community
> such as FM. For me some of the musts are:
>
> * what you see is what you get editor (no mark up code knowledge needed)
> * easy way to upload and place images
> * simple web log in, and writing workflow
> * ability to leave with your book (ie export an epub or similar)
> * ability to import your book (ie epub import or similar)
>
> nice one
> Mick
>
> --
> Mick Chesterman - mick at flossmanuals.net
> mickfuzz [skype]
> @onefuzzyduck [twitter]
>
> http://clearerchannel.org - training and freelance work
> http://flossmanuals.net - Free Manuals for Free Software

Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin

Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin