[FM Discuss] Portuguese floss manuals and editing tool suggestion

Mick mick at flossmanuals.net
Mon Nov 7 01:33:26 PST 2016

Hi there DJ,

About Editing / Translating:

The recommended workflow for translation is to work online and to clone
the original language manual by 'importing' the original language book
and therefore making a copy.

To import/clone a book visit your Dashboard and click on the My Books
tab. Click on the Import Book button.
A pop-up box will appear with import options:
Select Booktype and put the URL of te original book e.g.
http://write.flossmanuals.net/csound/
Make sure to give it a new title.

An alternative for working offline would be to use Sigil epub editor to
download and change the text. The upload your new epub to archive.org
and import into FM in a similar way to above. But there are plenty of
things that might have to be fixed up manually as this is a bit of a hack.

About language pages:

Creating a page for br.flossmanuals.net <http://br.flossmanuals.net> or
pt.flossmanuals.net <http://pt.flossmanuals.net> would be a bigger job
than just having them listed on the http://flossmanuals.net page.

There is only really one active language site now and that is
http://fr.flossmanuals.net

There is definitely a place for smaller language sites for example there
are quite a few manuals in castellano. We need a more lightweight
process to set this up both technically (for example, not maintaining
databases etc), and in terms of process, (in other words, who would
maintain these pages and what would their responsibilities be).

Definitely open to suggestions!

For info: There was an active one at http://fi.flossmanuals.net and we
are working on recreating that with Tomi, there are also pages at
http://fa.flossmanuals.net and http://nl.flossmanuals.net but they don't
have teams maintaining them so should be archived at some point.

nice one
Mick