[FM Discuss] "Introduction to Video Editing With ShotCut" now has a section for installing Shotcut in the Mac

M R matrobnew at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 13:56:09 PST 2018

Rosalind:

Many thanks.  I just had a look (why not instant gratification?  I was just grading papers anyway) and it looks great -- I changed one semi-colon to a comma, cuz I'm an English Professor 😊, but that's it.  That's a lot of screenshots but it looks like you need them all; it really seems  like OS X or whatever you're on makes you jump through a lot of hoops to install new software (I'll bet that's for anything that doesn't come from within the Apple universe).  More than Windows 10 even.

So esp now that you'd got it installed, I'd love to have you take a look, time permitting, at those next three chapters in 'Getting started', all of which I've finished at least in first-draft form.  Not that I expect you'll have played around with Shotcut yourself to this extent yet, but just to see if they make any sense to you (esp if you *haven't* played around much yet).  My impression is that every video editor has a somewhat different workflow as far as importing assets and getting them ready to edit; this one clearly made sense to the  Shotcut team, and I've tried to make it sensible for the reader.  But only some readers can tell me that.  However, this is only if/when you have the time; as it is I hugely appreciate your doing the Mac install bit.

Now we just need to find a Linux user...

Longer term, as I said before, I'm very open to you or other users contributing their own 'how-to' chapters as well (it's highly likely that you have more video-editing experience than I do).  But that will require us figuring how which topics I plan to cover and which are up for grabs.  My next chapter will prob. be on using Filters to add intro titles and captions, also fade-in and fade-out; and then perhaps one the basics of adding and editing an audio track; but I haven't thought beyond that.  Color-enhancement stuff, for example, is entirely beyond me and would be great for the "Taking it Further" section.  This is just if you have some particular yen for more technical writing right now.   Or later -- this manual will definitely be a work-in-progress for some time.

best,

Matt