[FM Discuss] next steps on Audacity book

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Jan 12 06:31:38 PST 2018

On 01/12/2018 05:55 AM, M R wrote:
> Mick:
>

> It doesn't actually appear like the specific chapters have their own
> urls -- when I go to http://write.flossmanuals.net/audacity/_edit/ and
> select a chapter to edit,  the url doesn't change that I can see.  The
> Linux installation chapter is simply entitled "UBUNTU" and its in the
> "Installing" part of the manual. Looking over that chapter just now, I'd
> be very surprised if the Linux install process hadn't been somewhat
> streamlined, but again we need a Linux/Ubuntu user to tell us that.

Here is the nitty-gritty on installation for Fedora:

"The simplest way to install Audacity on recent versions of Fedora is to
use the command line. You must be root or have administrative privileges
to install software. There are 2 versions of Audacity for Fedora:

audacity
audacity-freeworld

The latter version includes a variety of libraries which are not part of
the main Fedora repositories, so you would need to first install
rpmfusion-free-release and rpmfusion-nonfree-release. Go to
rpmfusion.org and download the appropriate releases for your version of
Fedora. These represent additions to your repositories. On the command
line, type

sudo dnf -y install rpmfusion-free-release...

Where the ellipsis at the end needs to fit the rest of the particular
version you need. For example in Fedora 26, it would be

rpmfusion-free-release-26.noarch.rpm

Once you have both of these installed, then type

sudo dnf -y install audacity-freeworld

after which the assessment of dependencies, downloads and installations
should proceed automatically.

Once it is installed, your are ready to use it. Simply type 'audacity'
on the command line or find the application under Multimedia with your
application launcher."

Greg