[FM Discuss] Archiving most of the books on write.flossmanuals.net - and how to do it.

Helen Varley Jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Wed Nov 14 13:53:23 PST 2018

hmm, i'm not sure about that one either. is there a way to see which are
the most viewed?

probably the UpStage manual doesn't need to be archived, as we have old
versions on the website (i think ... we used to ... ) & i don't think
anyone out there is using the old versions anyway. & hopefully in the
not too distant future we are going to have a completely shiny new
improved platform! :)

h : )

On 14.11.2018 02:15, mick at flossmanuals.net wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> This was a point that came up at the last FLOSS Manuals meeting.
>
> The proposal was to archive most of the FLOSS Manuals content in the
> process of moving to a new Booktype 2.x installation apart from active
> or most valued ones , and for me to come up with a suggestion on how
> to do that.
> I've got a suggestion which is...
>
>   * Pick at top 20 of manuals which we would like to promote and try
>     to keep updated.
>   * Migrate those and any that have changed significantly since the
>     last migration to the current write.flossmanuals.net
>   * Update the web links of older manuals to point to the relevant
>     part of http://archive.flossmanuals.net/ for example one like
>     http://archive.flossmanuals.net/ffmpeg2theora/
>
> I actually think this could be a really positive thing, we get loads
> of hits still, and lots of requests to get involved as volunteers but
> it's not always clear where to get them started.
> I think this kind of focus could really help.
>
> I'm not sure the best way to pick the top 20 odd manuals however, any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Mick

helen varley jamieson