[FM Discuss] Fw: New Volunteer

mick at flossmanuals.net mick at flossmanuals.net
Thu Apr 18 04:15:25 PDT 2019

Hi there,

I just want to share one of the other reasons that I've been a bit quiet
on this list.

I've been working a LOT on the following manual this year.
https://en.flossmanuals.net/phaser-game-making-in-glitch/_full/

It's a way to learn how to make game in the Browser using javascript.
It's a good approach for kids and for grown ups. Try it out!

I started it last summer and thanks to those who gave me feedback around
last October.

Since then I had a bit of change of direction as I tried to work out how
I could best write a manual to support Real Life workshops where I was
trying to really promote the choice of those taking part. This made the
linear approach not work very well. I was trying to make the step by
step manual 'fun' and interactive, but this just didn't translate to be
able to support the more chaotic workshops that I've been running where
people are just kind of doing their own thing.

At the same time, some of the workshop participants were really crying
out for more structure, so I know I couldn't lose that totally.

It really took me ages to try to resolve these two approaches. In the
end I've come up with a strategy.

So I stripped down the step by step section at the start. Made the other
sections self contained and created this chapter as a way to help people
choose their own path through them.
https://en.flossmanuals.net/phaser-game-making-in-glitch/_full/#choose-your-own-adventure.
Still some work to do on the appendix and tidying up. But I feel like
after nearly 9 months on and off it's nearly there!

Thanks
Mick