[FM Discuss] When to use FLOSS Manuals and when it's not the best tool / platform? your opinions

Maren Hachmann maren at goos-habermann.de
Wed May 15 15:06:10 PDT 2019

Hi Mick,

I'm still following this list, even though I have switched to using
sphinx/readthedocs some time ago, and I'm happy to help you, and to help
the users to make a good decision.

Strengths of Booktype:

* easy to use for people who are not accustomed to write html or any
markup language, and cannot or don't want to invest time into learning
it, but get working on the content
* built-in community platform to facilitate exchange between editors
* a large community around it and people who 'randomly' come and ask if
they can help (for Flossmanuals)

Strengths of RTD/Sphinx:

* less fragmentation between the communication channels of a project
* full control over layout (you have that, too, if you're an admin of a
booktype instance, but not as a Flossmanuals user)
* semantic markup (i.e. the markup that is used does not only have a
style, but also an inherent meaning, like keyboard shortcuts, glossary
entries, code snippets, menu entries etc.)
* version control that allows you to not just view previous states, but
also combine them and going back to them, deciding what you want to keep
and what not
* plaintext files that are accessible as a whole, so things like search
and replace over a larger corpus will work
* a rudimentary system to enable translations (it doesn't use po files,
as far as I know, but it will keep translations together with the rest
as a single project, and they can be made available as translations to
select from

If I had to describe use cases, I would say that flossmanuals is better
for shorter prose-like manuals which are written by people of varying
technical skill level, and who do not have time or energy to invest into
preparations. It can be useful to get unexpected help from writers who
need experience for their CV or for study-related projects. Also, these
are more self-contained projects that are not part of a larger project,
and don't need to integrate with that project's existing infrastructure.

I think a text-file-based and version-controlled system is better for
larger corpora and technically versed authors/admins who want a high
degree of customizability and have the skills to implement that. If a
git and communication infrastructure exists and is used extensively
already, it can help to keep things together more easily.

(I also really didn't like how BookType worked with images, it was a
pain to just exchange one - also that the last time I used it, it didn't
support SVG.)

Hope this helps,
 Kind Regards
  Maren