[FM Discuss] FLOSS manuals archive sites - and a volunteer request

Helen Varley Jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Thu Nov 25 06:48:16 PST 2021

hi mick,

great that you are getting onto this & nice to see the wayback snap of
the infant FM :)

can you move the UpStage v3 manual to the archive site? we are now using
the new UpStage & have nearly finished its manual - we're doing it on
french FM
(https://fr.flossmanuals.net/upstage-v4-english/_draft/_v/1.0/introduction/)
as this was easiest for elisa to set up, & we've all benefited from
learning french terms like enregister & telecharger :)

h : )

On 25.11.21 10:25, Mick Chesterman wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> I’ve been working with Alexandre Porres from the pure data community
> to correct older versions of our pure data manual and the current one.
>
> This has highlighted that archived resources could do more to point to
> more current versions and ideally remove completely redundant versions
> of manuals.
>

> This reflects the current focus of the FLOSS Manuals project to
> maintain existing manuals as archived work – and to update
> documentation for existing project where appropriate – and signpost to
> other relevant materials and resources in line with FLOSS Manuals ethos.
>

> So, I’ve finally pulled the plug on write.flossmanuals.net – although
> the site is still available here
>
> http://floss.booktype.pro/ <http://floss.booktype.pro/> -
>
> I’ll ask for that to be taken down at the end of the year – so if
> there is still anything useful there that isn’t part of
> http://archive.flossmanuals.net <http://archive.flossmanuals.net> then
> please do go grab it.
>
> write.flossmanuals.net – now forwards to archive.flossmanuals.net
>

> *Volunteer/s Request*
>
> Would anyone be up for taking on a project to include a header banner
> for the archive site that signposts reader to more updated manuals
> when they exist?
>
> The archive site is in flat html. So some kind of script to inject
> header material would be needed. And some design work to create a nice
> looking header.
>

> Here’s a link to the current archive site on gitlab
>
> https://gitlab.com/flossmanuals/archive.flossmanuals.net
> <https://gitlab.com/flossmanuals/archive.flossmanuals.net>
>

> and here’s a link to an early version of flossmanuals.net capture by
> archive.org – it has a header at the top of the page saying wayback
> machine – it’s this kind of injected header that I’m talking about.
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20060721074055/http://www.flossmanuals.net/
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20060721074055/http:/www.flossmanuals.net/>
>

> Hope you are all doing well.
>
> If you are ever in the north of England come visit me at a new Making
> / Repairing space that I’m doing in a town called Todmorden -
> https://todmordenmakery.org.uk/ <https://todmordenmakery.org.uk/>
>

> Nice one
>
> Mick
>
> "Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should
> read the Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available
> on its website http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "

helen varley jamieson

helen at creative-catalyst.com <mailto:helen at creative-catalyst.com>
http://www.creative-catalyst.com <http://www.creative-catalyst.com>