[Booki-dev] wikibooks to booki-zip via epub

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Sat Nov 21 00:44:21 PST 2009

I batch tested Jan's wikibooks2epub script against Wikibooks' "featured
books".  Most of them worked OK.  The exceptions were some that failed
with unicode errors in two separate places, and one that hung mysteriously.

You can see the unicode errors here:
http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/epub/wikibooks/fetch.log

It looks like the usual python thing where you need to scatter
".encode('utf-8')" around the place.  (BTW, urllib.urlencode does what
line 48/49 does, though I don't know if it does unicode).

The "Ada Programming" book used over an hour of CPU time and about the
same in elapsed time before I terminated it.  I don't know what was up.

Some others took a while but didn't use much CPU -- presumably they were
just waiting on the network.

Then I ran espri over all the successful epubs, which seemed to work
with no problems.  All of the scripts and results are here:

http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/epub/wikibooks/

The real test is to see how the books behave in Booki, but I'm not quite
sure how to do that.

Douglas