[Booki-dev] [Booki and Objavi Development] #9: Fix page-break rules in webkit or gecko

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jul 8 19:49:16 PDT 2010

Mushon wrote:

>   1. Send html to be PDFed the way we do it now
>   2. Gather the paging from the PDF in a similar way to how we do it
>      now for the TOC:
>      This is a big "if" - can we get a report about where the page
>      breaks after breaking it? Can the script that draws the TOC be
>      made sophisticated enough to know what is the last word on every page?

No.  Well, yes, but the script wouldn't be javascript, it would be a
pdfedit script analysing the pdf.

The other complicating thing is you couldn't do this in one iteration,
because as soon as you change one page then all the following page
breaks are changed.  So the number of PDFs you need to make is
proportional to the number of pages.

I really think it would be simpler to fix this in C++ in webkit itself,
an attempt at which is coming soon.  I promise.

Douglas