[Booki-dev] Problems installing Booki on Fedora 11

Aleksandar Erkalovic aerkalov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 15:45:18 PDT 2010

hi,

when it comes to booki, there was no reason for upgrade (but i
understand it was pretty
outdated distribution). installing python modules  as distribution
packages is.... ah.. i don't
want to say anything, but it can be tricky if you don't upgrade
distribution for some time, or
if you use debian stable and then  you wait for years and years :)
basicly, this software is
going to have stable shape in couple of months, and i don't care at
all for django 1.0.2/1.1
at the moment. by the time booki will have stable debian package, even
debian stable should have
relevant packages. and i use latest versions because i find newer api,
fixed bugs and
some of the features... well, very useful and sometimes as the only
solution for some of the
problems. in this case, it is django and redis. and somehow, they do
change a lot.

but basicly, solution is very simple. missing libraries can be
installed with pip or easy_install.
then they are installed globally on the system and it could make some
problems with
programs and libraries (older version) installed through package
system. or everything could
be installed with virtualenv. in this case, what is recommended is to
install it localy. django
can be downloaded or cloned from repository. i put it in lib/
directory, i set up PATH and
PYTHONPATH variables and that's it. i have it on my production with
different applications
who have requirements for different versions of django and some who
require patching django.
because, it is just one directory on the disk. does not make any
problems when you upgrade
system and etc... this is something i only use for "i care about this
application". and it is
nothing crazy. that is what virtualenv is really, that is what
postgres cluster in debian is and etc...
i use it in my commercial work with all the banks and financial
institutions and i never have
problems (like i have with debian and upgrading postgres for
instance). anyhoo, solution is
to place in lib directory everything what you can not install with
packaging system. right now
it is just couple of python libraries.

well.. good luck with oracle! i don't like the idea, i work as ibm
informix consultant, and oracle
is the bigger and muuuuuuuuch more popular enemy :) there is only
couple of places with
raw sql. django does not have support for JOINS.. so maybe, that is
something what will
have to be manualy changed. other then that, for now, i think there
should be no problems
(except some constraints on the user types). please tell me how you
are going with it, i
will try to help you as much as i can [i tried to install oracle
express once, but i did not have
1 (point something) GB of swap for it to work]  also, consider
switching to ibm informix at work.
i could get you very good discount :)

aco

 http://www.binarni.net/