[Booki-dev] Problems installing Booki on Fedora 11

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 10:16:39 PDT 2010

Douglas and Aleksander,

We may be on the home stretch here.  I am able to use OBJAVI
standalone and it works fine.  Booki still hangs when run as manage.py
runserver, so I want to give it a virtual host instead.  I use these
values:

<VirtualHost *:8000>
	# ServerName sugarlabs.simmons
	ServerAdmin nicestep at gmail.com

	DocumentRoot /home/jim/olpc/booki/booki

	<Directory /usr/share/pyshared/django/contrib/admin/media/>
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
	</Directory>

	<Location "/">

	    SetHandler python-program
	    PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
	    SetEnv DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE booki.settings
	    PythonDebug On
	    PythonPath "['/home/jim/olpc/booki/booki/lib'] + sys.path"

	</Location>

	<Location "/favicon.ico">
	    SetHandler None
	</Location>
        <Location "/media">
            SetHandler None
        </Location>

	Alias /favicon.ico /home/jim/olpc/booki/booki/favicon.ico
	Alias /media/ /usr/share/pyshared/django/contrib/admin/media/

	ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/booki-error.log

	# alert, emerg.
	LogLevel warn

	CustomLog /var/log/apache2/booki-access.log combined
	ServerSignature On

</VirtualHost>

# An example Apache 2.2 configuration fragment for Objavi2.
#
# Copyright (C) 2009 Douglas Bagnall
#
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
# with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
# 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerAdmin nicestep at gmail.com
	#XXX set server name
	#ServerName objavi.halo.gen.nz
	# limit MEM to 800 million bytes
	RLimitMEM 800000000

        #Sometimes it takes a while. Wait.
        TimeOut 600

	DocumentRoot /home/jim/olpc/objavi2/htdocs
	<Directory />
		Options FollowSymLinks
		AllowOverride None
	</Directory>
	<Directory /home/jim/olpc/objavi2/>
		Options +All +ExecCGI
		AllowOverride None
		Order allow,deny
		Allow from all
		AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
                # Remove output filters in case mod_deflate is being used.
                RemoveOutputFilter .cgi
	</Directory>

        DirectoryIndex index.html objavi.cgi
	ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/objavi-error.log

	# alert, emerg.
	LogLevel warn

	CustomLog /var/log/apache2/objavi-access.log combined
	#ScriptLog /tmp/objavi-cgi.log

</VirtualHost>

The virtual host for OBJAVI works, the one for Booki does not.  I can
do http://sugarlabs.simmons and OBJAVI will come up.  I can't get
anything to come up for port 8000.  I have confirmed that mod_python
is in fact installed.  apache_ctrl -S does show both virtual hosts.
Booki is actually installed in directory /home/jim/olpc/booki/booki
because f the way I used Git.  (For OLPC projects you need to create
the directory for the project and Git creates a directory underneath
it called "mainline").

If either of you can help me over this I promise to write a detailed
article on setting this stuff up for the Booki Blog.

Thanks,

James Simmons