[Booki-dev] Problems installing Booki on Fedora 11

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 26 19:41:44 PDT 2010

On 25/10/10 12:54, James Simmons wrote:

>   If I set up the home directory profile so that httpd can access
> them then GDM complains, and if I don't they won't run.  SELinux
> really, really doesn't want you to run your apps out of home
> directories, and I know that my Unix admins at work won't agree to run
> it that way in any case.  There needs to be a proper setup.py.

Yes, Objavi does need a setup.py, and an external config file, and
instructions.

The thing I would do is copy the objavi directory into the python
module path (see `python -c'import sys;print sys.path'`; probably
something like /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/objavi), and
put the rest in /var/local/www or somewhere.  The web server needs to
write to the log, cache, htdocs/tmp, htdocs/booki-books, htdocs/books,
and htdocs/progress directories, and *not* anywhere else.

There might be some complications if want ISBN bar codes or multicolumn
formats, but I don't think this is the case for you.

> There also needs to be some suggestion of how to get redis running on
> boot up.  Redis doesn't even have an install target for its make file.
>   It's easy to get past that (copy the four binaries to /usr/local/bin)
> but I still need a good way to run the sumbitch on boot up.

I just use the distro Redis for my copy of Booki.  It needs to be
version 2.x, which is quite new.

> You really need to mention SELinux in the install instructions.  You
> also need to mention that home directories in Fedora are NOT readable
> by other users by default, so you need to change the permissions.

The thing I would recommend in that case is not to install it in your
home directory.

> Finally, in one of your Python modules you're doing an "rlimit" and
> SELinux doesn't like that.  The dialog that tells me that says SELinux
> can be configured to allow that, but the sumbitch won't tell me HOW.

I'll see if I can make objavi detect SELinux andavoid the rlimit.

> Other problems: OBJAVI 2 only lists free licenses when printing books.
>   If I'm going to use it in the office I need it to say "Confidential
> and proprietary material copyright (C) 2010 Yoyodyne, Inc." or some
> such verbage.

The file to edit for that is templates/inside-front-cover.en.html

Douglas