[Booki-dev] Problems installing Booki on Fedora 11

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 26 20:29:37 PDT 2010

James Simmons wrote:

> I think that you and Douglas have managed to put together one instance
> of Booki but you don't have a repeatable process to do that yet.

Actually I think you have approximately Booki installation #9 and
Objavi #4.  But you are right that the process needs testing and
documenting.

> I don't think it's necessary to come up with instructions for every
> distribution, but you do need to install both Booki and OBJAVI on a
> machine which has never had either installed and test it to make sure
> book publishing actually works.  You need to document how to change
> config.py in OBJAVI and settings.py in Booki to make everything works.
>   You need to make sure that nothing is missing.  For instance, in the
> OBJAVI download there needed to be a version of the iarchive EPUB code
> that Douglas had modified.

I've fixed that by removing the dependency.

> I would also like to know how to modify OBJAVI to add and remove
> licenses and to replace the default book style sheet with my own.
>
> I don't think you need to deal with things that are specific to a
> distribution or to describe how to set up databases other than
> sqlite3.  These things we can figure out on our own.  As far as
> SELinux is concerned it is enough to know how to disable it
> temporarily or permanently.  This is easy to do if you know how.

Actually I think it is reasonable to expect it to run under SELinux,
and I don't think it should really be that difficult.  It is just
a Django app and some CGI scripts, which must be in dozens of Fedora
packages.  The fact that it has been quickly developed and lightly
tested is an argument for SELinux, not an excuse for exemption.

Douglas