[Booki-dev] PDF Export

Aleksandar Erkalovic aerkalov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 16:17:19 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Cedric Gémy <cedric.gemy at gmail.com> wrote:
> of course, there are so many print processes that user experience is very
> important. That's why i checked our PDF through standards that are the
> simplest way to experiment without a real print job.
> I have some good knowledge in PDF after years of teaching it and ways to
> generate it. i can help a bit on this even if i'm not a dev.
> May be i should have a look at the source code to see how it really works
> (if i can understand it). What do you think about it?

Honestly, there is a set of things that are half finished or just not
done right. It can be very confusing to someone who is not informed
about specifics and does not know where to ask for help. Like, to any
new user who is trying to test Booki :)

For instance, objavi.booki.cc installation and objavi source have
wrong definitions for some current servers. Default CSS style is not
good. I was contacted today by my friend Andrew. Previously he used
his custom made CSS, but this time he did not have energy to do it
again so he decided to use default style. It turns out there is no
definition for H3, so H3 ends up bigger then H2. Things like that...
If i was someone who is just trying Booki for the first time, i would
be really annoyed with this issues. I mean, there are much much bigger
problems in Booki interface for new users that makes them ask WTF is
this.

Now that "we" [well... i have none really] with producing Booki books
we could stop a bit and fix all this broken things. Interface in Booki
editor for Export has to change a bit. There are also known problems
(like... long URL) that can easily be fixed. I have python scripts for
this, but it can easily become part of the interface. So before PDF is
published all kind of checks can be done on source HTML (on Booki
side) for known problems. So, users could be notified about this
before publishing. There is also space for this kind of changes.

Anyhoo, i have very little experience with Objavi and i just started
going through its source to get familiar with it. So.. a bit of
patience is needed, but i will soon figure out how it works. What
would be good is all this issues with PDF not working in different
viewers and etc... I will for sure need help with that because i don't
have much experience with publishing PDFs or PDF format in general :)

Aco
--
 http://www.binarni.net/