[Booki-dev] Small info about latest changes in Booki and booki.cc website

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:52:21 PST 2011

great work Aco (and others), sounds super-excellent
L.

On Tuesday, December 20, 2011, Aleksandar Erkalovic <aerkalov at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Updates on Booki.cc website and Booki
>
> We were busy lately working on Booki so i decided to share some of the
latest changes with you. Booki.cc is already upgraded  and our main
repository on github will be as soon as i finish writing needed docs for
upgrade. Meaning... it will be available tomorrow. Flossmanuals.net website
will be upgraded after that.

> You can expect many new changes on http://www.booki.cc/ web site and i
will try to keep you guys informed as much as possible. Will i start to
tweet  like all the cool kids? Probably..... Will booki.cc has its own
Twitter account?! Stay tuned! :)

> Updates and bug fixes
>
> We had a serious problem where you could by accident delete  book if you
we deleting chapter statuses. Opppsss. This has been fixed now.
> “django-admin bookrename” command now rewrites attachment path correctly.
> Everyone has access to “Attachments” tab now, but only administrator can
delete attachments at the moment.
> Show human readable error message when you have more then one chapter
with the same name. There is not much help with this at the moment, Booki
administrator should remove or rename one of the chapters.
> Now you can directly link to chapter editor or any other tab in editor
interface. For instance:

> http://www.booki.cc/my_book/_edit/#/edit/my_chapter/
> http://www.booki.cc/my_book/_edit/#/settings/
> http://www.booki.cc/my_booki/_edt/#/history/
>
> You can’t leave editor by accident anymore. Popup window will ask for
confirmation. Yes...Yes...Finally!
> Default Django slugify function does not know how to work with non ASCII
characters. This was a major problem with Asian scripts, Russian and some
other languages... This has been fixed now. At the moment we have
dependencies that could not handle pure Unicode names, so we are just
converting it to ASCII characters... For instance “Добрый день” will become
“dobryi-den” and etc.
> Booki Editor is now fully localized.
> You can upload  PDF book to Lulu.com from “Export” tab.
> Boxes are rounded and have gradient background if you are using Chrome or
Safari :)
> Some other small bug fixes....
>
> Soon to come
>
> We are experimenting with new WYSWYG editor. At the moment it is TinyMCE
and it looks promising. Considering how big impact it will have on Booki,
it will be available on our test site before we change current editor.
> Those who are running their own Booki installations will be happy to know
there will soon be new dependencies if you want to run Booki. To make long
running tasks work normally we will use Celery and RabbitMQ. Be prepared
for this! You can read more about them here: http://celeryproject.org/ and
http://www.rabbitmq.com/ .
> We are also experimenting with new persistent connections between browser
and Booki, but will inform you more about this when we have something to
test. And yes... it will mean even more new dependencies on Booki!