[Booki-dev] Localisation of Booki

Tuukka Hastrup Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
Sat Jan 22 16:16:10 PST 2011

Tuukka Hastrup wrote:
> The first part is to prepare (internationalise) the Booki codebase. The
> second part is to implement a translation application comparable to the
> one in the old FLOSS Manuals system.

I've done some prototyping on these and now have some issues that could
be decided on.

1. Git repository for the translation application: I suppose it should
be in a repo of its own as it should be useful to other projects than
Booki as well. Also, most Booki installs won't need the translation app
(they can use the Booki/FLOSS Manuals installation, and get pre-made
translations). Can someone create the repo? What to call it? (I called
my prototype "Selftranslate".)

2. License choice for the translation application:
GPLv3/GPLv2+/AGPL/LGPL/BSD etc.?

3. Gettext parser to use for the translation application: I'm now using
the Translate Toolkit of Pootle fame, which provides all kinds of useful
utilities for translation work: gettext parser, serializer, compiler,
merge tools, language info database etc. It's GPLv2+ licensed, included
in Debian and can be easy_installed.

Another bigger translation library option would be python-babel (BSD
licensed), but it seems to lack an active maintainer currently.

Then there's various three-function implementations of po file handling
code which could be used, but would require development of additional
code around and the result would be less tried.

4. File locations of Booki: Django docs say that booki.settings should
not be imported directly. Is there a reason why the code does that? If
it didn't, settings.py could go where config/deployment files go and the
locally updated translation files could go to the same place.