[Booki-dev] Features needed to create Kindle e-books

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 09:55:51 PST 2011

I'm using Booki to create a book that I'd like to sell as a Kindle
e-book.  Amazon provides a utility called "kindlegen" that can convert
an EPUB to a MOBI suitable for reading on a Kindle, but to actually
sell such a book your original EPUB must have some things that
Booki-generated EPUBS lack.

1).  A table of contents page at the front of the book that is linked
to the chapters.  This is in addition to the TOC that you can access
from anywhere in the book.

2).  A cover image, which is a 600x800 JPEG that corresponds to what
you might see on the cover of a printed book.  The image is put into
the EPUB in the normal way and is then linked in the metadata for the
book.

3).  There should be a way to get an actual author name in the book's
metadata, rather than just having "The Contributors".

4).  There needs to be a way to copy the forced page breaks that we
use for printed books into the EPUB.  You can do this with CSS styles
in the HTML tag itself.

I can generate an EPUB from Booki, use Sigil to touch it up and add a
table of contents page, then unzip the EPUB and fix the metadata to
include my cover page image, then zip it up again and run kindlegen on
the result.  It would be nice if I didn't have to do that every time,
though.

James Simmons