[Booki-dev] Challenges in rendering automatic covers

Tuukka Hastrup Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
Fri Oct 14 02:05:48 PDT 2011

Hi all!

I hit some "challenges" trying to render book covers automatically as
needed for lulu.com integration. At the moment, I can render a blank PDF
of the right dimensions ;-) I'm wondering if anyone else has ideas on
how to solve (or work around) these:

1. How to express in SVG a float layout similar to an IMG tag floating
on the right of a text paragraph in HTML?

2. Alternatively, how to combine separate HTML-to-PDF renderings of a
front cover, spine, and back cover into a single PDF *page*?

3. In either case. how to scale the font size of the book title in SVG
*or* HTML so that the title width matches the horizontal page available
in the cover?

Actually, I wouldn't mind if someone else wanted to whip up something
for this as it's only tangential even though required for the lulu.com
integration.

Regards
Tuukka

P.S. Here's what I use for the blank test PDFs: wkhtmltopdf-i386
--page-width 210 --page-height 297 --load-error-handling ignore
/dev/zero a4.pdf