[Booki-dev] New Ticket - broken links on published manual

John Curwood marketing at lovinglearning.co.nz
Thu Jan 26 09:49:41 PST 2012

Hi, I tried to create the ticket below, however, on the trac website
when I clicked create, it said I didn't have ticket creating privileges.

Anyway, we have the issue below for published manuals on the FM website
where the chapter headings are written in a non-latin script.
Cheers,
John

Hi, in the published farsi translation of Curcumvention tools
(http://www.flossmanuals.net/bypassing-fa), most of the chapter links
down the left hand menu are broken.

WHen I click on a chapter heading, I get the following message:
Error

This page does not exist. Book request=bypassing-fa Chapter
request=introduction

When I had a closer look, most chapter headings in the menu are written
in farsi, and when I hover over a chapter title in farsi, the link
points to the section heading.

For example, all the chapters in the basic techniques section point to:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bypassing-fa/basic-techniques/

however some chapters do, work. These chapters have at least one latin
character in the chapter heading.

For example in the firefox and its addons section, most chapters have at
least one wort written with latin characters, the links form these
headings go to a page name that comprises purely of the latting
characters in the chapter heading. e.g. the chapter on https goes to
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bypassing-fa/firefox-and-its-addons/https .
Which works. However the farsi characters in teh name aren't represteed
in the name.

I think this has something to do with the way we gererate HTML pages
when we publish the book and i am guessing that urls can only contain
numbers and latin characters and since the chapter heading have farsi
characters, a "legitimate" url or file name cannot be generated.

This issue also affects other manuals that are written in non-latin scripts.
e.g.
http://en.flossmanuals.net/circumvention-tools-mn/
http://en.flossmanuals.net/circumvention-tools-zh/
and
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bypassing-ru/ - in the case of this last one,
no matter what chapter I click on the introduction chapter opens.

John