[FM Discuss] [IAEP] Sugar users manual

Brian Jordan brian at laptop.org
Tue Jul 8 21:34:44 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
<e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> Greg Dekoenigsberg schrieb:
>>
>> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Walter Bender wrote:
>>
>>> I can participate if it is in the second-half of August... I have lots
>>> more material from when I made the "getting started" guide sitting on
>>> the "cutting room floor".
>>
>> I think it's worth considering making this and pitching it to O'Reilly. In
>> the same format as Karl Fogel's "Producing Open Source Software" and other
>> works: available for sale, but freely licensed.
>>
>> The creation of a physical artifact that can be purchased in stores is "a
>> big deal" and would go a long way towards establishing credibility and
>> permanence.  "Holy crap, Sugar must be for real -- they're selling the book
>> in Barnes and Noble!  With a Live CD!"
>
> That's an excellent idea and I think it would be great to make a Live-CD and
> Sugar documentation available to the masses! :-)

This is a fantastic idea. A publication with step by step activity
creation instructions and a liveCD with the barebones activities
(templates?) referenced in the publication would provide a distinct
starting point for developers interested in our project, even those
who don't have an XO yet.

I'd be more than willing to help with pyGame/OLPCGames
instructions/templates--I've been working through this sort of
activity creation process all summer.

Cheers,
Brian