[FM Discuss] [IAEP] Sugar users manual

Joshua Gay joshuagay at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 11:23:35 PDT 2008

This seems to be sprawling into a bigger project than it had started. Which
is great. Here are my three cents:

1) We should have a suggested style-guide page on flossmanuals. This project
would be a good opportunity for us to start adding to that. The rule of
copyediting isn't "correctness" but "consistency." I'd be happy to help in
style guide development as I have experience in doing this.

2) I would suggest we have a project lead/Editor that helps to determine if
we've met the necessary goals we want to reach in a timely manner. Not a
dicator, but someone who can help steer help toward things that are most in
need of being finished. Specifically, it would be good if we could mark
pages/sections as "needs rewriting," "needs copy-editing," "needs graphic,"
etc. A good way to annotate/bug-track.

3) It would be good to have the option of going to print. To do that, there
are a number of print-quality requirements, such as picture DPI and other
things. We should have a list of technical requirements needed to allow for
that option in the future.

-Josh

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 12:34 AM, Brian Jordan <brian at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
> <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> > Greg Dekoenigsberg schrieb:

> >> I think it's worth considering making this and pitching it to O'Reilly.
> In
> >> the same format as Karl Fogel's "Producing Open Source Software" and
> other
> >> works: available for sale, but freely licensed.
> >>
> >> The creation of a physical artifact that can be purchased in stores is
> "a
> >> big deal" and would go a long way towards establishing credibility and
> >> permanence.  "Holy crap, Sugar must be for real -- they're selling the
> book
> >> in Barnes and Noble!  With a Live CD!"
> >
> > That's an excellent idea and I think it would be great to make a Live-CD
> and
> > Sugar documentation available to the masses! :-)
>
> This is a fantastic idea. A publication with step by step activity
> creation instructions and a liveCD with the barebones activities
> (templates?) referenced in the publication would provide a distinct
> starting point for developers interested in our project, even those
> who don't have an XO yet.
>
> I'd be more than willing to help with pyGame/OLPCGames
> instructions/templates--I've been working through this sort of
> activity creation process all summer.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian
>

> >> "Make no small plans."  Daniel Burnham.  :)
> >>
> >> --g
> >>

> > --
> > Christoph Derndorfer
> > Co-Editor
> > OLPCnews, http://www.olpcnews.com

Joshua Gay
[m: 617.966.9792 irc: jgay twitter: joshuagay]
Free Software Foundation, campaigns manager
[http://fsf.org http://defectivebydesign.org http://badvista.fsf.org
http://playogg.org]
Textbook Revolution, editor/(re)designer
[http://216.93.249.195/wiki irc://freenode.net/#textbookrevolution]
One Laptop per Child, volunteer
[http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Participate irc://freenode.net/#olpc-content]
League of Technical Voters, board of directors
[http://www.leagueoftechvoters.org/ - http://transparentfederalbudget.com]
Free Textbook Project, lead
[http://freetextbookproject.org -- more to come]