[FM Discuss] Book sprint aug 16-23 Summary

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jul 9 11:46:52 PDT 2008

Administriva
- Mailing list - Let's move this book sprint discussion to
discuss at lists.flossmanuals.net .  It is a very low volume list.  Once we
get some details worked out we can bring the discussion back to iaep for
feed back.

- Wiki Page - http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/DocumentationTeam/BookSprint
is ready.

- Phone conversation - Seth could you provide details on the wiki about
how and where to connect?

Process
- Organization -
Let's make sure that FM is running the show;)  They have a proven track
record of: Picking a topic, Setting a time, and Producing a deliverable
with regard to documentation.

- Writers workshop -
FM's sprints are a bit different than typical developer sprints.  They
are not _just_ a burst of energy directed towards meeting a goal.
Sprints are a workshop where writers come together to learn how to write
good user documentation.  Sprints are a social experience where writers
come together to form a community who share common goals and
experiences.

Logistics -
Location - OLPC has offered working space.  Seth, could you and Joshua
Gay work on the rest of the Logistics of housing and feeding the
attendees?

Time - As much as I would like to have a deliverable ready for the Aug
release,  Let's take a step back and shoot for hitting the next spring
release.  We have a lot of work to do. Outlining, writing, proofing,
translating, pushing.

Document scope -
Users Manual - Here again I have to deffer to Adam and Anne.  I under
stand a reasonable scoop to be: A generic 'Getting started Guide' Which
can be easily adopted by downstreams.  Preparatory work on a generic
'User Manual' which can be completed over the next few months.

- Initial Tasks -
I'll post a follow up on the wiki to get us going.

Thanks
dfarning