[FM Discuss] [IAEP] Sugar users manual

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 22:28:30 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Seth Woodworth <seth at laptop.org> wrote:
> We can sell a few thousand copies of a printed manual, but having a manual
> translated into 12 languages and shipped as the first boot instruction on an
> XO means an awful lot more to me.

Please take a look at the following examples from Roy Doty's Wordless
Workshop. Let us think how much of the manual can be done that way, to
minimize the translation effort, and if possible to make it
unnecessary.

http://www.themews.com/doty/wordless.htm
http://www.themews.com/doty/books.htm

> Are we planning on documenting Sugar internals, individual activities, and
> how to code for the XO?  I'm not against the idea, but a statement of
> purpose ought to be defined for any event.

Those are too big for a sprint. In any case, I believe we have been
talking about a getting started guide, like Walter below.

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Walter Bender wrote:
>>
>>> I can participate if it is in the second-half of August... I have lots
>>> more material from when I made the "getting started" guide sitting on
>>> the "cutting room floor".
>>
>> I think it's worth considering making this and pitching it to O'Reilly. In
>> the same format as Karl Fogel's "Producing Open Source Software" and other
>> works: available for sale, but freely licensed.
>>
>> The creation of a physical artifact that can be purchased in stores is "a
>> big deal" and would go a long way towards establishing credibility and
>> permanence.  "Holy crap, Sugar must be for real -- they're selling the book
>> in Barnes and Noble!  With a Live CD!"
>>
>> "Make no small plans."  Daniel Burnham.  :)
>>
>> --g

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/