[FM Discuss] exhibitions, festivals, promo materials, etc.

Tomi Toivio tomi at flossmanuals.net
Fri Aug 7 02:32:08 PDT 2009

Hi,

What kind of experiences do you have about exhibitions, festivals, promo
materials, etc?

Cause I am sitting here at Assembly (in the shade of Ubuntu). And I just
noticed we don't have anything. To promote our project with. We didn't even
manage to order printed books in time. It is quite hard to get people
interested in this. The competition in this place is in many cases from
computer companies or gaming stores who have wall-sized computer game
monitors etc. DIY materials I did alone on wednesday basically don't cut it
in this environment.

For an example:

- Ubuntu/Linux seems to attract attention mostly by giving away free Ubuntu,
Kubuntu and Ubuntu server installation disks and by offering Linux helpdesk
support...
- EFF has a lot of different books, t-shirts, a nice little statue of a
military boot stamping on a human face (from 1984), and other materials
promoting their views...
- Actually I don't see any other organizations that would be even remotely
similar to FLOSS Manuals besides Ubuntu and EFF?

The next time we should have at least the books and maybe other promotional
materials to attract attention with. Also we should think about some kind of
a more participatory approach - such as arranging a constant workshop about
FLOSS Manuals. Like playing around with Kino documentation, a video kamera,
and Kino. You know.

I noticed that even t-shirts cause a lot of attention here - there are so
many computers around it actually works to print your url on your t-shirt.

Best Regards
Tomi Toivio