[FM Discuss] wikimania presentation

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Wed Aug 26 11:11:37 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 21:41 -0400, Andy Oram wrote:
> Good luck, Adam. The notes are wonderful, and much too much already, I'm sure. I bet you'd need half a day to explain it (unless the audience is already super-sophisticated.
>
> Nonetheless, I can't resist offering some more.

>   * THE Author
>   * THE Publisher
>   * Copyright
>
> AO: Something doesn't look right, does it? One of those doesn't
> fit. Why focus on copyright when it's just a legal vehicle for so many
> deeper concepts, such as distribution and the relationship to the
> public?
>
> One way to improve your triad, I think, is to substitute "THE Public"
> or "THE Readers" for "Copyright." Another approach is to substitute
> "Means of distribution" and mention that copyright is subsumed under
> that. Either change will lead you in interesting directions.

interesting point. i think copyright is so deeply embedded in the
rationale of the current publishing models that it is important to show
it here. as i see it, copyright binds the author to the publisher, locks
down the business model, and prevents information flow...its this
combination that I am interested in. the reader is of course an
important part of the publishing cycle and can have a powerful
effect...however the reader really is a barrier to the publishing
industry as it is now, but in open publishing the reader is a strength
as they are potential contributers...so...i dont think i will add the
reader to these slides as i want to show which strengths of the
traditional model retard open publishing, as i see it, the reader is not
one of these

>   slide 5
>
> AO: I strongly urge you to add another item under this: shared
> responsibility. Readers are no longer merely consumers. It's up to
> them to correct, edit, challenge, update, and add to the publications.
> That's what FLOSS Manuals is all about. You also need to say this to
> support your claim under slide 6 that "cult of the Author dissipates."

ah yes, good point...here is a good place to introduce the new role of
the reader...

>   //What is an Open Publisher?//
>
> AO: Does the publisher also motivate people to write? Conventional
> publishers do, and sometimes FLOSS Manuals does too.

good point :)

thanks thanks thanks for the thoughts! :)