[FM Discuss] wikimania presentation

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:18:07 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:11 AM, adam hyde<adam at flossmanuals.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 21:41 -0400, Andy Oram wrote:
>> Good luck, Adam. The notes are wonderful, and much too much already, I'm sure. I bet you'd need half a day to explain it (unless the audience is already super-sophisticated.
>>
>> Nonetheless, I can't resist offering some more.

>>   * THE Author
>>   * THE Publisher
>>   * Copyright
>>
>> AO: Something doesn't look right, does it? One of those doesn't
>> fit. Why focus on copyright when it's just a legal vehicle for so many
>> deeper concepts, such as distribution and the relationship to the
>> public?
>>
>> One way to improve your triad, I think, is to substitute "THE Public"

+1

Actually, THE author and THE Public become THE community in the new model.

>> or "THE Readers"

But as you continue below, you point out that THE Readers become so much more.

>>for "Copyright." Another approach is to substitute
>> "Means of distribution" and mention that copyright is subsumed under
>> that. Either change will lead you in interesting directions.
>>

> interesting point. i think copyright is so deeply embedded in the
> rationale of the current publishing models that it is important to show
> it here. as i see it, copyright binds the author to the publisher, locks
> down the business model, and prevents information flow...

Except when GPL and CC play aikido on the model, allowing the energy
of the opponent to trip him up.

> its this
> combination that I am interested in. the reader is of course an
> important part of the publishing cycle and can have a powerful
> effect...however the reader really is a barrier to the publishing
> industry as it is now, but in open publishing the reader is a strength
> as they are potential contributers...so...i dont think i will add the
> reader to these slides as i want to show which strengths of the
> traditional model retard open publishing, as i see it, the reader is not
> one of these

How about merging Author and Reader into Community Member?

>>   slide 5
>>
>> AO: I strongly urge you to add another item under this: shared
>> responsibility. Readers are no longer merely consumers. It's up to
>> them to correct, edit, challenge, update, and add to the publications.
>> That's what FLOSS Manuals is all about. You also need to say this to
>> support your claim under slide 6 that "cult of the Author dissipates."

+1

> ah yes, good point...here is a good place to introduce the new role of
> the reader...

>>   //What is an Open Publisher?//
>>
>> AO: Does the publisher also motivate people to write? Conventional
>> publishers do, and sometimes FLOSS Manuals does too.

I could do a whole presentation--several, actually--on this one point.
It is fundamental to the Earth Treasury model of replacing printed
textbooks with something more valuable, and engaging a billion
students and many millions of teachers in continuous improvement.
Along with Subject-Matter Experts, parents, and whoever else could and
should be involved.

The Great Books program called the history of writing and publishing,
particularly at the highest level, The Great Conversation. But that
was a highly restricted conversation due to limitations of technology
and economics. Now we can bring everybody into the conversation while
we end poverty and accomplish a few other things in that vein.

> good point :)
>
> thanks thanks thanks for the thoughts! :)
>
> adam

> Adam Hyde
> Founder FLOSS Manuals
> German mobile : + 49 15 2230 54563