[FM Discuss] wikimania presentation

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 11:28:19 PDT 2009

Generally very good. I will be interested to see what it turns into.

Two comments.

You are too harsh on (cc). Most of what is licensed under (cc) has
nothing to do with book publishing. Photographs, videos, music
(including source tracks, not just final mix), scientific
data...Enabling sharing and preventing others from putting (cc)
materials under (c) is not a throwaway, but the essence of the
program, just as with GPL. (With the exception of the No Rights
Reserved CC-0 license, provided to remedy the lack of a way to put
material into the Public Domain in current law.) But perhaps you can
tell us what experience led to your disdain for (cc).

Please do not use the terms "borg" or "collective". They are
unnecessarily provocative, but more importantly, they are misleading
and confusing to the uninitiated, in this case me. I had no idea what
you meant on the first reading. In-jokes always fall flat when used
outside. The standard way to say what we are is "community".

Is there any way to help others of us get to conferences and make
presentations on FM ideas?

And Children are my nation.