[FM Discuss] wikimania presentation

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Wed Aug 26 12:07:34 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 11:28 -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> Generally very good. I will be interested to see what it turns into.
>
> Two comments.
>
> You are too harsh on (cc). Most of what is licensed under (cc) has
> nothing to do with book publishing. Photographs, videos, music
> (including source tracks, not just final mix), scientific
> data...Enabling sharing and preventing others from putting (cc)
> materials under (c) is not a throwaway, but the essence of the
> program, just as with GPL. (With the exception of the No Rights
> Reserved CC-0 license, provided to remedy the lack of a way to put
> material into the Public Domain in current law.) But perhaps you can
> tell us what experience led to your disdain for (cc).

i'm not so hard on cc. I think cc is a necessary hack to a bad system.
however, at the end of the day its copyright itself that is broken.

> Please do not use the terms "borg" or "collective". They are
> unnecessarily provocative, but more importantly, they are misleading
> and confusing to the uninitiated, in this case me. I had no idea what
> you meant on the first reading. In-jokes always fall flat when used
> outside. The standard way to say what we are is "community".

if there is one place i expect people to understand the term
'borg' (other than a star trek convention) its the wikimania event ;)

> Is there any way to help others of us get to conferences and make
> presentations on FM ideas?

its happened before. maybe anne or janet want to talk to there
experiences on this...

adam