[FM Discuss] Possible collaboration with Floss Manuals

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 16:08:41 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:17 PM, adam hyde<adam at flossmanuals.net> wrote:
> hey
>
> concerning the outline - i think this project it should be a bit of
> both...create a draft outline then reform it as people join

Here is what I posted a week ago.

Particularly for FSF, a book on why and how to support Free Software
development. Not just how to code, but all of the rest of the
enterprise, including bug reporting, feature requests, localization,
Free content, education, and getting Free Software into corporations
and government.

Take the complete novice point of view. What are the benefits of Free
Software? How do I get started using Free Software? How do I explain
it to others and get them involved? How do I get my organization to
adopt it? What resources are there? How do I introduce it to
politicians, and how to we organize to support it? How do we get it
into schools?

With case studies. What is official EU policy on Free Software? How is
that going? How about the Rwandan plan to become the IT hub of Africa
using Free Software? What about all of the national Linux
distributions, such as HindLinux in India or Soyombo Linux in
Mongolia?

I should mention that I am talking to politicians here in California
about our Gubernator's plan for free digital textbooks, without a
corresponding plan for computers to run them on. We are looking toward
the XO-2 next year, at a promised price of $75. That's far less than
the textbooks it would replace. If we could get US states and other
nations to fund software and textbook development, they would all
profit greatly. Then we could talk about that army of a billion
children being prepared to take over the world, and to bring Free
Software along with them. ^_^ What else is needed to make Free
Software available to all?

And Children are my nation.