[FM Discuss] [SPAM] Discuss Digest, Vol 27, Issue 5

Andy Oram andyo at oreilly.com
Sat Aug 8 07:15:47 PDT 2009

I don't believe "Introduction to the Command Line" is the place to discuss programs that happen to accept user input on the command line. There should be a programming book for that. Certainly, "Introduction to the Command Line" covers more than bash. If there is a useful program that CLI users tend to invoke--grep or sed, for instance--it can be described in the book. But the book doesn't describe how to write your own grep or sed program. If is were, itt could be extended to be a programming manual for all kinds of programs.

Andy