[FM Discuss] the presentation

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Thu Aug 27 12:05:06 PDT 2009

Not to be the Bad Guy here, but if you take away attribution what other
motivation remains to get people working without pay? My guess it would
be altruism, which may be a motivating factor for some but not all of
the contributing writers. Those with a social-activist type background
may find that motivation enough, for example, but in the creative arts
(my own background) you will often find that altruism takes a far
backseat to reputation.

I would further argue that attribution is also a major motivating factor
in the Free Software world, i.e. the very subject of the docs we are
writing. People code stuff to make a name for themselves in their
respective communities, just as some FLOSS Manuals writers might
contribute content just to see their names in print (a classic Web 2.0
strategy that still seems to work--people blog and comment away like mad
in order to get their names up on a popular website and be *noticed*).
If FLOSS Manuals is carrying on the Free + Open Source tradition, it
can't ignore this motivational aspect of it.

And finally, I might point out that when artists ask me why they might
want to give away their images/videos/music/words for free, my usual
response is that people aren't paying much for these kinds of things
anyways these days, so the "free exposure" of open-licensed content
could be a gateway to personal
engagements/readings/lectures/workshops/commissions/performances or
other kinds of paid work that might actually pay their rent. I
personally make no bones about the fact that I write documentation as a
way of promoting myself as a workshop instructor.

I think these kind of real-world considerations should be kept in mind
during discussions like this. Flame away if you will... ;-)

Best!
Derek