[FM Discuss] wikimania and foo report # 1

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Mon Aug 31 23:34:35 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 22:17 -0400, Andy Oram wrote:
> Interesting to see Wikipedia discussing the possibility of adding quizzes. If they use those quizzes to assess the readability of the pages, that would be along the lines of my proposals for FM and other systems. But to use quizzes to check the quality of a document, you really should have multiple versions of the document, and Wikipedia isn't set up to do that.
>
> Adam, could you explain more what you mean about technology's relationship to democracy? You said in your report that you were annoyed by how the Wikipedia presented talked about it, but I couldn't understand your own position.

my position is simple...i think techo-evangalists often link the access
to technology by a rich, and often technologically advanced class, to
ideas of 'democracy'

so we get terms like 'democratic participation' ... or 'democratising
technology' ... both of which i think are shallow uses of the term

adam