[FM Discuss] CommandLineIntro/WritingConventions

TJB tjb.olpc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:29:06 PDT 2009

> Put punctuation outside the quoted material.
>
> I don't know what you mean by this.  Is this right:
> He said, "I have apples oranges carrots chicken
> livers and ox tails" ,,,.

You're joking, right, Bill?

> Replace semicolons with periods.
>
> Let's not be dogmatic about this.  There are
> cases where sentences joined by semicolon really
> do improve readability as compared with separate
> short sentences.

I don't think anything there is dogmatic.  That statement is in a
section with the word "guidelines" in its header.

> "I don't understand why this stuff about the XO is
> in here.  Are we writing a manual about the XO, or
> are we writing an introduction to the command line
> on Linux systems?"

Thanks for asking.  The writing conventions were copied from the
XO/Sugar manuals.  The person who copied them neglected to remove
those lines.  Now that you know the answer, and considering that
logged-in users can edit the page, you are able to remove those lines
yourself.

> ... integers are not usually larger than
> two billion one hundred forty-seven million
> eight hundred thirty-six thousand six hundred
> forty-seven.

There is an infinite number of integers larger than 2,147,836,647,
although you probably meant to write "two billion one hundred
forty-seven million four hundred eighty-three thousand six hundred
forty-seven" (the largest positive value in the "integer" data type in
many computer languages).

> Put punctuation outside the quoted material.
>
> I don't know what you mean by this.  Is this right:
> He said, "I have apples oranges carrots chicken
> livers and ox tails" ,,,.

You really, truly, honestly don't know what that means?  Hint (and to
answer your question):  no, your example is not right.