[FM Discuss] berlin pricing

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sun Jul 5 11:04:52 PDT 2009

Hi Adam,

I think Chris did a fine job summing up my points, to whit:

adam hyde wrote:

> Profit : selling the books for more than the price it costs to produce
> them.

Knowing what it costs to produce them would help you price/suggest
donation accordingly. People's time (including your own) should figure
into that.

> first priority, as far as I am concerned, is to find $ to hold more
> sprints.

A fine priority!

> I know of at least one : FLOSS Manuals but there are _many_ others. Many
> not for profits have no paid employees.

Is that required by the FLOSS Manuals charter? ;-)

> I have the feeling you expect book sales to generate a lot of revenue.
> This is not the case anywhere in the industry.

As with the music industry and all the others. Nope, not expecting
anybody to get rich writing FLOSS Manuals. My points are more about
finding a realistic figure (not out of thin air) for pricing the
physical copies.

>> "You can die of exposure."
> I dont get this last point...

Criticism of "Berlin pricing" and whether people can actually live on it
aside, I've repeated this phrase "you can die from exposure" to many
curators etc over the last year who have asked me to do workshops,
performances, installations etc for next to nothing because the symbolic
value of being able to call something "art" and get "exposure" from it
is supposedly greater than the need to pay rent.

As an aside for non-native English speakers on this list: "exposure" is
also what happens when you leave someone out in the wilderness with no
food, water or heat for a long enough time... ;-)

Application to FLOSS Manuals: don't sell yourself short, because the
"exposure" is already there in terms of the website.

best!
Derek

--
::: derek holzer ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista :::