[FM Discuss] Parrot docs?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 11:48:59 PDT 2009

Allison Randal, head of Parrot and O'Reilly OSCON chair, is interested
in us doing some projects on Parrot and on other O'Reilly projects, in
the manner that Andy Oram and I have been discussing. Parrot is the
all-singing, all-dancing Virtual Machine for Perl6, extended to
support the widest possible range of dynamic programming languages

http://www.parrot.org/languages

on more than 200 hardware/operating system combinations, starting with
x86 (Linux, Mac, Windows) and ARM (Linux). The 1.0 release was in
March, but there is a lot more to do on documentation and books, and
Allison is interested in talking with us about doing it. If you
install parrot and parrot-doc in Linux, you can see much of what there
is.

/usr/share/docs/parrot-doc

I have proposed that the Parrot Foundation talk with ACM about its
intention to create a new Computer Science curriculum, and that they
and we offer to assist in making Parrot an essential part of it with a
set of textbooks. We can also create a CS curriculum for elementary
schools based on Turtle Art, Smalltalk, and Scratch, all of which
offer tile-based, tree-structured programming. Not only are these much
more suitable for children than linear text programming languages, but
the tree is the fundamental CS data structure. A large majority of
compilers turn linear text programs into parse trees for further
processing. Our children can skip that step and go right to the
essentials.

And Children are my nation.