[FM Discuss] Notes on open source documentation from Open Source convention

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Fri Jul 24 08:26:52 PDT 2009

hey,

cool write up of the presentation Addison gave. I am going to re-read it
but I enjoy the points about volunteers. Its a very interesting issue. I
had a discussion recently during the Open Translation Tools Book Sprint
about how to get people to volunteer to translate. The general agreement
of those involved (except me) was that you should filter people
in...that is, place a burden of proof on the volunteers - they need to
show they can do a good job before you let them in. Hence there was a
lot of talk of required skill sets, qualifications etc

I was very much in disagreement with this. Everyone wants good
translation, just as much as everyone wants good docs. But the threshold
for participation should be as minimal as possible. Good quality comes
from harnessing the energy of those involved, not by discouraging people
from being involved...

It seems Addison is thinking along the same lines.

adam