[FM Discuss] Notes on open source documentation from Open Source convention

Janet Swisher jmswisher at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 10:42:59 PDT 2009

I'm also in favor of accepting anyone who volunteers, and relying on
reviews to ensure quality. People whose work is truly bad might be a
burden to the group, but those people are unlikely to volunteer in the
first place, because they probably don't enjoy the work.

If the experience of working on the project can help the volunteer
improve their skills, then everybody wins. Some projects make feedback
to the writer an explicit part of the review process. When this
subject came up at Writing Open Source, Emma Jane talked about the
writer mentoring program that LDP had for a while, which worked well
until it fell victim to politics. Feedback doesn't have to be that
formal --- even just an editor telling a writer "I made these changes
to your chapter, and here's why" can help a writer who wants to learn.
FM doesn't have that kind of feedback built in, although individual
writers and editors can certainly choose to do it.

--
Visit my blog at: http://www.janetswisher.com