[FM Discuss] release early release often

chris hofmann chofmann at meer.net
Fri Jul 3 08:22:05 PDT 2009

Seems like there area several things rolled up in this great analysis

-Questions about updates

-Questions about what the FM brand means.

-Questions about how they are connected.

On the issue of updates I'd say that FM is a huge breakthrough that will
allow printed material to actually stay in sync with the software.  No
more books arriving 6 month after the release of a major new version of
the software.  No more piles of outdated copies of the books laying in
waste when the software changes.   The FM brand has the opportunity to
sell the idea of "always up-to-date books"  if they can keep the
projects engaged in doing frequent updates.  If the cost of the books
remains near the production costs, and all the content remains viewable
on-line and in self printable form, and its clear to users that all
these options exist then I don't see any chances for conflict or
confusion on the part of users.    Great things happen when the choices
provided by the producers align with benefits and options for the
consumers.   I think that is the best way to think about updates.

What does the FM Brand mean?   I'll take a crack

-Many options for viewing the content by anyone - on-line, print your
own, buy a book
-Many options for sharing great work -- Uncle Abby used to say "Steal
this book",  that would be a great moto for FM  ;-)
-Many options for remixing the works of others to create new and greater
things the orginal creators never thought of.

FM is about options and choice for producers and consumers of
information FLOS Software

Its an open platform for communities to gather, get orgainized,
collaborate and produce great works

Its a grass roots distribution system for getting good and up-to-date
information into the hands of users/consumers

Decision making about what material gets produced and provide to users
is distributed participatory and collaborative, as opposed to being
centralized, closed and controlled.

Planning and Production of the material is also open, transparent.

All these dimensions  of openness and choice rolled together are what
make FM unique, engaging, and revolutionary; and what make FM a hot,
rockin, product and service ;-)

-chofmann