[FM Discuss] Fwd: POSSE and FLOSS Manuals

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Jul 23 07:08:51 PDT 2009

Hi Norbert -
Oh sure, book sprints are a technique we've been using with the FLOSS
Manuals wiki tool to write a manual in about a week's time. Here's a longer

Book Sprints are an innovative format based on Code Sprints but with the
focus on producing documentation instead of code. Ideally a week-long event,
a Book Sprint starts with an outline for a newly formed book idea, and ends
on the last day with the production of a printed book available to
participants and interested readers using an on demand print service.
Writing a book in a week or less is an incredible and demanding feat. It was
enabled by the FLOSS Manuals platform which has turned the corner from wiki
to collaborative publishing platform. The platform enables fluent
collaboration with local and remote writers, a low technical threshold and
an automated print source generator that produces beautiful book-formatted
PDF files. Upload this file to a print-on-demand service, and you have a
fast moving process able to produce books at the same rate programmers
change the software.

You can read more in the Book Sprints book at
http://en.flossmanuals.net/booksprints.

Thanks for the reminder to give definitions when needed. I hope this is
helpful.

Anne

 *Anne Gentle*
annegentle at justwriteclick.com my blog <http://justwriteclick.com> | my